Graham Beck Wines is now entering its third generation as a family winery. It was established in 1983 when entrepreneur Graham Beck purchased Madeba farm outside the Western Cape town of Robertson with a fervent ambition to establish a world-class winery in this region. The success of the Robertson winery has been extended to the second Graham Beck cellar in Franschhoek, one of the oldest wine-making regions in South Africa.
The success of Graham Beck Wines can be attributed to passion, commitment, skill and access to the finest quality grapes. But most of all it can be attributed to the vision of one man – Graham Beck. Graham Beck wines were served at Nelson Mandela’s inauguration party. This viognier is very different in style to a California Viognier. Less floral and intense honeysuckle and more stone fruit and minerality.
Aromas: apricot, peach, mineral, light floral notes
Color: golden yellow
From the website: 7 year old vineyards from our Robertson estate. Grapes were harvested by hand in the 3rd week of February in Robertson. 60% of the grapes were fermented in 3rd fill French oak barrels and the other 40% in stainless steel tanks. The portion in barrel spent 2 months on the primary lees for a creamy texture, and was left to mature for a further 3 months in barrel before it was blended with the stainless steel tank portion prior to bottling.
Tasting Notes: “A wine with a soft golden hue. A nose rich with peaches and cream, and ripe apricots dusted with icing sugar. An elegant entry supported by a crisp acidity gives delicate weight but huge flavours of pineapples and pears with dried apricots on the finish completing the circle.”
Eat with: beet & feta salad, olive oil & herb marinated feta, pickled vegetables, upland cress & yellow beet vinaigrette